Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Kabocha and Yams - roast fest!

The supermarket I normally go to has decided to embrace fall - squashes and yams are on SALE!

I love a good sale, but when that sale falls in with the season, you load up. So when I saw the sale sign up for Kabocha and Sweet Yams, I hauled home with a bunch of these little suckers.

As a child, Kabocha squash was a staple soup. Simmered in a light chicken broth with green onion garnish, this soup was the go-to for if you were ever feeling sick. And yams? My mom loved to just roast them or boil them and have us eat them as snacks. Yams are so sweet to begin with that there's no need for added sugar (although I do love caramelized yams with coconut).

While I did roast some whole yams (I like to bring one to work to snack on when I get the munchies), I tried to do some yam fries. Super simple, super flavorful. I never noticed it before, but sweet potato fries and yam fries have this extra bite to them. It's a little sweeter, but there's something about tasting a natural caramelization that you get from the sugars of the potato. What's even better? MOH is all for it. Both of us are from the camp that french fries should be just potatoes, but with the rise of sweet potato fries and now yam fries, there's room for everyone.

Easy fries - toss with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper (roast 15 minutes on each side at 400 degrees F)
And if the yam fries weren't enough - I decided to do roasted kabocha squash slices for breakfast. Kabocha is really creamy and decadent. The taste reminds me of acorn squash, but creamier. I've done an acorn squash roast with shredded coconut (I like to make it during Thanksgiving time), so this time, I decided to roast kabocha with some coconut oil and a little salt and pepper. Again, very simple, but really tasty! The outside of the squash is firm (slightly burnt is my preference), but the interior is really creamy. This heats well too! If I had planned better, I would have eaten this with a side of eggs.

Same prep as yam fries only use coconut oil for extra flavor! Keep rind on if you like, or peel off
I think that next on our list is to do a squash risotto. Another time!

Until next time, happy eating all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment