Saturday, July 20, 2013

Comic-con withdrawal

I'm back from Comi-Con and I'm on withdrawal. MOH and I went to our very first Comic-Con (and certainly not our last!) and we had tons of fun. We were among the rare few attendees who were unable to go for the entire 4 day stint, as we just had passes for 3/4 days.



Comic-con is an international convention that revolves around panels, discussions, and exhibits all related to movies and TV shows, comics, and games. This year, Comic-con highlighted new games for PlayStation4 and Xbox1, and held panels featuring new TV show line-ups (the JJ Abrams robotics-crime drama, Almost Human), and long-time favorites (Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones). Did I mention you also get to pick the brains of producers behind some of the greatest movies/series?!?! Besides the exciting panels available, there are tons of exhibits featuring cool swag designed to make even the most composed person geek and spaz out. My personal favorite was the exhibit showing to-scale figurines of Star Wars, DC / Marvel  comic characters, and even JRR Tolkien's characters come to life.


Needless to say, I had a great time. I'm counting the days until I can go again (54 weeks and counting!). Besides the convention, another great thing to celebrate about going to San Diego was to try the infamous Extraordinary Desserts! This place did not disappoint.

We had drove down to San Diego, were running on low fuel and had no dinner. Regardless, we met up with some old friends in college who lived in Mira Mesa for a late night dessert. This restaurant doesn't just serve dessert, but go for a sweet treat. Don't get salad, or a panini - go here for the creme brulee, the chocolate cake, the passion fruit cheesecake. Seriously - get something sweet! I can't comment on the entrees or apps, but this place is called Extraordinary Desserts for a reason!



I ordered this decadent cake called The Viking. It has a chocolate creme brulee and milk chocolate cream underneath chocolate cake layers. On top, you have a chocolate almond praline to add a nice bite of crunch. This cake did not disappoint my sweet tooth. I'm a major chocolate-aficionado and love chocolate no matter what type of mood I'm in. Sad? Eat a double chocolate cookie. Mad? Eat chocolate chips from the bag (MOH has extra chocolate chips on hand for this occasion). Happy? Try for a kit kat if on hand. I eat chocolate every day. This cake is catered to the chocolate lover. To anyone who likes eating chocolate, don't order this. It's very rich. It's the by-product of if a brownie, german chocolate cake, and creme brulee got in a love triangle. A little bit risque, but soooo good. Everything about this cake was good. The topping of chocolate creme brulee had this great bite. The frosting was so rich and thick and had a great dark chocolate taste. The cake layers itself were so moist and melted in my mouth. Finally, the chocolate creme tasted like a chocolate mousse and just slid down my throat, coating this lovely chocolate layer for me to enjoy the whole way through. Really good. If you're not into chocolate, I'd still definitely recommend giving this place a try at least once. I've heard they have a dessert buffet and their other desserts are really wonderful as well. MOH had the creme brulee and let out a food-gasm upon the first bite. I tried it myself and it was quite tasty. 

Anyway, hope everyone's having a great weekend! Apologies if you were expecting a science-driven blog, but I'm still on cloud nine from Comic-Con. Be on the lookout for a blog on the taste buds next week!

Happy eating all!


No comments:

Post a Comment